Thursday 19 February 2015

In case you wonder why 'fashion critique'




Often, the first thing that comes into people’s minds when the word fashion is mentioned is celebrities and the latest trends in clothing and shoes. 

However, 'fashion critique' goes beyond just the popular style of clothes. The fashion I intend to write about extends to all things that society popularises. These vary from hair styles/cuts, jewellery, shoes, phones and beauty issues such as weight loss, skin bleaching among others. My definition of fashion is informed by the late designer, Coco Chanel's quotation on fashion. It reads, 

" Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."

Recently, when I asked a few people why they identify so much with fashion trends they said fashion is important to them because they want to look good. However, some of the people that I talked too were saying there are not fans of fashion. Others felt that fashion is a waste of time and that it has brought more harm than good especially to children who are now caught up in identity crisis situations. 

I have also realised that people go to the extent of suppressing their likes, their health, feelings, comfort and esteem in chase of fashion and the fashionable. 

Personally, there was a time when I was obsessed with fashion to an extent that I would prefer to starve myself and use the little money I got from parents just to buy clothes and get my hair done just to fit in. Until a friend told me that it’s not always just about what is deemed fashionable. After all its fashion today, tomorrow it’s behind the times.

It is all these variations on fashion that prompted me to assess and write about the popularity of fashion with the aim of encouraging society that they should make informed decisions in their pursuit of identifying with fashion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to mock fashion. Of cause I understand fashion changes time and again, but the extent to which some people follow fashion just to fit in the fashion world got me worried and left me with a burning desire to investigate and say more on what I think about the popularity of fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment