Monday 2 March 2015

Women in leggings

(www.pininterest.com)
(www.aliexpress.com)

The issue of whether women should wear or not wear leggings always attracts attention and debate among people. There are many variations when it comes to that issue. These vary from personal beliefs, religion and cultural perspectives. 

I myself don’t wear leggings because I don’t feel comfortable in them. It’s a feeling that arose when I was told leggings don’t look nice on fat legs. I’m not usually touched by what people think of how I dress, comb my hair or eat, but that day I have to admit I was bored to death. Nevertheless, I completely stopped wearing those when my mother told me there is no difference between a tight that I wear inside my skirts and the legging that I choose to wear on its own.

She told me, “this is something you should wear during winter under your skirt, It’s just improper and inappropriate when you wearing leggings alone,”

This left me with a burning desire to find out what other people think concerning the leggings.

Similo Ncube a youth from Seventh Day Adventist church at Maranatha High school explained that she does not wear leggings because of how they shape the body just like many other trousers as she feels she might seduce men to look at her lustful, which is a sinful and against the Christian book of law- the bible. It was not my first time to hear that, its something that I heard since I was 12, at home, school, church and so forth. But this time I needed to confirm with men themselves on how they think about that

Qiniso Mlilo, a male student at one of the universities in Zimbabwe (institution withheld) admitted that its hard not to stare at women when they are wearing those tight leggings citing that it does not mean when there are wearing skirts or other decent clothes he does not stare at them.
“If I want to look at woman I do, but, honestly some clothes that women are wearing nowadays just draw your attention even if you don’t intend to look at them. Of cause they make you feel something” Mlilo said.

In support of that another fellow Christian concurred with Mlilo saying that what a person wears will cause others to view you in a certain way citing it’s one among the reasons why rape cases occur.

“Most rape cases emanate from such dress codes, these dresses draw the attention and feelings of men, ”, he said

Others felt they should be worn but in appropriate places such as ports not in the streets and churches which something that is noticeable in some Pentecostal churches.

According to Trevor Moyo there is no problem if women wear those leggings as they were designed for as the name entails.

“They are called leggings. Wearing them on their own would be a problem as they won’t be serving their purpose. I feel leggings were meant to cover up what would be left out by those see though clothes” he said.

Meanwhile a student from National University of Science and Technology who is an expert in Biology said leggings are not meant for all body sizes citing some women are not compacted.

“Some women are not compacted thereby wearing leggings would make their jelly like figure exposed which is an eye-sore,” she said.

However, not everyone agrees to that. 

“Why can’t a woman celebrate her sexuality the way she wants, sometimes society tends to complicate the lifestyle of woman, please let us be,” said one lady.

Click here and see a video that shows women in leggings


What do you think? You can add your comment below…
 

Related articles






3 comments:

  1. why should it be always about women, we now have men who wear leggings

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good piece of work. As much as i am a woman, i strongly feel that women should dress modestly, these never ending fashion trends have brought about skimpy and exposing clothes. I doubt anyone will ever treat a semi-naked woman with respect, i for one, do not. Let us not let men continue to disrespect us. There is no harm in covering up, ladies! Lets try it sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. i strongly think women should be left to dress whatever way they feel comfortable in after all it is their bodies and to start controlling them on what they should and should not were will be undoing everything women emancipation is all about. If they are making mistakes let them learn from their mistakes. Men have always viewed women as sex objects whether they are covered up or not and such dressings can be seen as part of the third wave of feminism which speaks major to raunch culture.

    ReplyDelete