Wednesday 11 March 2015

The choices we make come with consequences

Before and after plastic surgery (www.piniterest.com)

This is not the first time I speak on the popularity and effects of cosmetic industry and many other related issues. I feel the cosmetic industry has frowned upon women in Africa. First of all, I have nothing against the industry. I believe in the business great axiom, where there is demand there is supply. 

Of cause, while others are making money, some are chasing for beauty. 
However, my question remains, would you risk your life in a bid to meet the ideals of beauty? It’s a question I keep asking and as for the response, it is a matter of individual choice. I believe in human power to make their own choices. However, I cannot hide the fact that some of the choices we make come with consequences. The results can be positive, but sometimes negative.

After reading the New African Women magazine (Issue 9), I got surprised that a young woman had the guts to compromise her own life, in pursuit of beauty and just to fit in. The late Nigerian woman, Claudia Aderotimi,  died at the age of 22 following a batched operation to enhance her buttocks.

Aderotimi had a cheap industrial silicone normally used as a sealant, injected into her buttocks, bloodstream causing poisoning that led to her heart failure.
The reports that followed that article indicated that she was forced to have the procedure a second time after being dropped from a dance video shoot because directors discovered she had been wearing padded trousers.

Aderotimi had to sacrifice a lot just to fit in the hip hop music industry, not knowing she would die -  a lesson it is. I have come to learn that sometimes it’s better to be yourself. I have come to learn that maybe the natural look could be the best way to go. Above all the choices are yours, but remember to make the right choices. Don’t forget fashion is cyclical. It comes and goes.

Before and after plastic surgery (www.piniterest.com)

 Related articles

1 comment:

  1. people don't have to suffer for beauty, how about they embrace what they already have

    ReplyDelete