Wednesday 4 March 2015

High heels can be an atrocity to your body

www.shoesor.com



Sometimes you wonder why some women wear high heeled stilettos when they are struggling to walk in those shoes. 

‘We want to look good, professional and feel confident,’ that is what most women I spoke to would tell me. I told myself if that is the case then flat shoes can also serve the same purpose, after all they are all shoes at the end of the day.

Notably, I don’t have a problem with women wearing shoes, but I get a little concerned when I see someone who can barely walk in those shoes  still wear those shoes on a daily basis. Worse still when I heard they can be dangerous to bodies.

Research shows that heels can have effects on bodies some of these include:


Ø  shorten calf muscles changing the anatomy of calf muscles and tendon

Ø  cause circulation blockage killing foot bones,

Ø  create bunions, hammertoes, and nerve damage like my friend, the neuroma,

Ø  result in long term back and knee damage,

Ø  foster bony protrusions known as “pump bump,” from straps of high heels digging into the tissue around the Achilles tendon. 

This is a story of someone who was affected owing to wearing of heels:

Thanks to my love for high heels, I developed an extremely painful Morton’s Neuroma, that can only be described as feeling like there is a marble in your sock and you are walking on needles.  Sounds fun, eh?

We tried to treat it conservatively with steroid injections (also fun), but after two years, it was clear that it was getting worse.  I could barely walk in sneakers.  I couldn’t do my favorite activities like running and walking my dogs.

I decided to have surgery to remove the inflamed nerve from my foot. The surgery was a success and you can barely even see the scar, but nerves are tricky. I had an excruciating year-long recovery because the nerves in my foot were not so happy to part ways with their inflamed friend. I regretted ever having worn heels and still couldn’t do the things I loved to do. I would have given anything to have my life back.

I struggled with wearing flats to work and with dresses.  I felt ugly and frumpy. Certainly I felt like a midget next to my husband who is 11 inches taller than me. None of my pants fit any more because they were all tailored to my 3 inch beauties lined up in my closet....Read more…





1 comment:

  1. But I think they can be dangerous if there are worn on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete